Answers to the following questions:
- Approximately how many of your volunteers provide direct support
to clients / recipients of service via the
- Please describe the kinds of volunteer activities these direct
contact volunteers provide to your
- America Online
- Live time Chat, Message board monitoring,
mentoring, training, guest chats.
- Chebucto Community Net
- for this too there are lots..
- there are computer labs in libraries where the
working of CCN is taught to kids, adults etc..
as well as instructions provided to clients
using the CCN for a web page of their own etc..
- Community Wire Service
- Concentric Media
- Calls/letters e-mails to PBS Programmers
Local Sponsors for Cable Access TV time
Outreach for finding more volunteers
Hosting local film screenings or campus events
Doing local Publicity for broadcasts or screenings
Sending updates Alerts, Requests for help
- Diversity University, Inc. *
- MOO programming, MOO admin, training teachers
and students in how to use the MOO, teaching teachers how to teach on DU,
organizing and moderating real-time discussion groups on such things as
james joyce or support groups for online educators or librarians. Doing
presentations in physical life to show educators our virtual campus.
Moderating email lists involving MOOed and online education in general.
Working with the kids who are on DU to create MOO projects that teach
something, to use the web interface or VRML. Present at the online seminars
on how they teach on DU.
- durham county literacy council
- We are experimenting with online tutoring as
a supplement to face-to-face tutoring. We would also like to extend this
to include distance learning mentors who would guide students through
theprocess of preparing for the GED. Finally, we are trying (not very
successfully) to convince our local Department of Social Service to support
an online mentoring program for welfare-to-work famiilies - but they think
we are way out and I'm not sure if we will succeed here.
- Field of Dreams
- Free Our Parks and Forests
- Mostly emailing and replying to emails. Also
running a list server and posting to USENET.
- Globewide Network Academy
- These are people who talk (write) directly
with our clients, who are primarily schools and students.
- Joint Venture: Silicon Valley Network
- NetNoir, Inc.
- They host chatrooms, post messages to
message boards, respond to mail from
members. Also handle online promoting
- Northland Public Library
- Ronald McDonald House
SUPPORT TO FAMILIES
PROMOTE USE OF INTERNET
- Technology Assistance for Special Consumers
- United Way of Okaloosa & Walton COunties
- WEST Ltd
- Please see the information above
* Diversity University, Inc. responded twice, on March 8, 1997 and
April 28, 1997, but their responses to these questions were the
same both times.
return to Index of Agency Survey Responses
return to Index of VV Project Message Archives